The role of the Product Manager is to provide appropriate support to drive the sale of products available from the current and potential future franchised supplier base into established accounts; and to increase the potential for the company to attract new customers from established and emerging sectors by raising the company’s profile across the industry by supporting the BDM’s, marketing and product management teams. The Product Manager will report to the Technical Manager.
The Product Manager is expected to provide prompt responses to queries of a technical nature, including direct requests from customers. The individual is the principal technical point of contact for all sales staff and is expected to provide application, technical, cross reference and engineering support to all members of the sales team, both internally and externally based.
The role will require the individual to develop close and harmonious working relationships with franchised suppliers, determining appropriate product strategies including franchise & portfolio development programmes. The individual will be encouraged to identify new product development opportunities from within the existing supplier base, and new franchised supplier engagement prospects consistent with existing and emerging product strategies.
This individual will be expected to provide a channel through which suppliers can drive product strategies and is also the prime product training conduit to the rest of the sales and support staff. The candidate will be expected to visit customer independently and with the field sales staff to discuss or present application, engineering and product related support to assist in the development of prospects, or in the alleviation of technical problems. The candidate will be required to work closely with the quality staff both within the company but also with the supplier and customer base to ensure problems are remedied without undue delay.
The candidate will be required to offer support to the marketing and operations teams in product portfolio planning, gap analysis, data base creation and review, and strategic product and market targeting.
The individual will be expected to be pro-active in their day to day duties and will be given the freedom to explore new revenue streams within the specialist market sectors that Gateway operates within.
• Field all technical queries either directly or from colleagues and ensure the enquiries are dealt with by the relevant team members.
• To provide day-to-day support to colleagues and customers on technical issues including data support, cross reference work, bill of material analysis and best fit assessment of products.
• Support the BDM in designing, developing and delivering strategic programmes to identify opportunities and optimise their potential for viable activity.
• To provide direct technical and applications support in strategic ‘core’ accounts to assist in the design-in of franchised products, as well as offering trouble shooting assistance to the engineering functions within these accounts. To ensure that each request is assessed for viability before committing company resource to any solution and identifying any value-added opportunities.
• Support the product management remit to ensure all product databases are accurate and up to date.
• Manage pricing structures including supplier updates, resells and website pricing.
• To maintain customer records, visit report and technical support documentation in support of the prospecting activity.
• Support the Technical Manager to constantly review the product and franchise offering of the company by way of a gap analysis and make recommendation on new products from existing sources as well as new sources, complementary and sequential products, and emerging market opportunities.
• To become the primary training contact within the company on technical and product matters by working with linecard suppliers to assess the product competence levels of sales support staff, then address any shortcoming through planned training programmes.
• Keep up to date with new and upcoming innovations and become the go to contact on new developments such as 5G.
• Support the marketing programmes of the company by providing relevant and informative articles for inclusion in company publications, both printed and online.
• Work with colleagues to design and develop generic and customer specific software and applications to provide user functionality.
• Work with the BDM, Technical manager and marketing teams to produce packaged solutions which may enhance our appeal to retail outlets and specific target markets.
• Liaise with the marketing team to determine any shows, workshops or other events that may help increase revenue and strengthen our market position.